BSc (Hons) Mathematical Science
9 Kingsland House, North Front, Southampton SO14 1LJ
I have deep experience in areas including, Support and helpdesk, training and installations, database design and development and in data migration. I have enjoyed working in both executive and market research recruitment as well as in large banking corporation head offices.
My major area of expertise is in the design of MS Access databases and manipulation of datasets using VBA for Office Automation and other tools. I am an efficient programmer across the Microsoft Office applications including Access, Excel, Word, Outlook and have developed methods for extracting data from many different sources.
I enjoy the customer facing role and am confident in communicating with all levels of management and having worked in executive recruitment am aware of the sensitive nature of the data I work with.
I am an expert hands-on technologist and I am also able to present complex ideas to those whose strengths lie in different areas. I can rapidly learn and understand new software systems and in many cases am able to rewrite, alter and enhance software packages to meet client requirements. My job satisfaction comes from creating solutions to customer requirements and ensuring maximum return from IT investment.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
· Bond ADAPT,Office 365, Office 2007, MS Access, Excel,Active Directory,Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2,Remote Assistance, T-SQL, mySQL, data migration, UNIX, Scientific Linux, CentOS, VBA, Visual Basic 6.0, Powershell and bash scripting , Windows NT,XP,8 and 10. TCP/IP, Server 2003
· Alona Market Research. My MS Access solution enabled this small business to increase throughput of work fivefold. The company was using paper cards stored in shoeboxes to store information on focus group participants I created an end-to-end workflow system which allowed searching for participants by up to 50 criteria. The workflow made sure that vital steps could not be omitted, automated the sending of emails to selected respondents and used an SMS modem to send reminder messages. By making use of social media I also moved some of the workload out of the office by making respondents self-select using an online questionnaire. The software makes extensive use of Microsoft Office Automation features interacting with Outlook and Excel . During development a system was built on MS SQL Server and also on mySQL but the simpler Access solution was adopted.
· At Ericcson radio engineering centre by using skilful programming and design I created an Access database program which extracted large amounts of engineering metadata from mobile phone base stations. My software then extracted the particular data of interest and presented it in an Excel dashboard. My solution improved the data collection process more than a hundredfold, eliminated errors due to manual steps and organised the data for easy visualisation by radio engineers.
· At Egon Zehnder International successfully managed the migration of more than 50000 candidate records from 30 offices worldwide. The records were held in a number of different database management systems including AS400,Oracle, DB2, Dbase, Paradox, Filemaker-Pro and MS Access, and a large number held in Excel spreadsheets. I used MS Access 2000 and created VBA modules to extract and cleanse data, to automate formatting of foreign language documents and to replace accented characters (Polish, Spanish and Danish documents). Negotiated with office managers regarding handling of records relating to top level candidates and organised a secure encrypted method for transmitting data. The target system was Bond Adapt , a custom personnel record management system, hosted on a UNIX server. Through proactive and methodical work I delivered my part in this project on time and within budget.
· Whilst working for Computacenter as an onsite engineer at Credit Suisse First Boston was selected for promotion after repairing a fractured relationship with the customer. I achieved this by reorganising the working methods of our team and ensuring SLAs were met. My role included desktop and hardware support.
VBA Developer: Mouchel 2012 - 2013*
Developing Access 2003 front end for capital asset management. The system is based on a Monte Carlo simulation examining expected failure curves for capital plant in the water industry.
Systems and database analyst : Alona Market Research 2009 - 2016*
A comprehensive and powerful system for Alona Market Research, this is a multiuser package to manage the recruitment of candidates for market research focus groups. The benefits in this system have enabled the business to grow the number of focus groups from 5 per week to more than20. It has been in use for seven years and has had three major versions. The system is built on a Windows and MS Access front end with a back end hosted on Microsoft Server 2008R2.
*Retained by Alona Market Research while working on other projects.
EDM Developer : Excitech Ltd 2008 - 2009
Responsible for customisation of Electronic Document Management systems for UKs largest reseller of AutoCAD and Meridian document management systems. This post required skills in VB6, VBA, SQL server and customer facing.
Data technician:Healthcare Locums 2008
Data extraction and cleansing from Adapt bespoke recruitment system to SQL Server 2005.
Data Engineer: Ericsson and Hutchison 3G 2005 - 2007
· Improved data acquisition and performance monitoring for the mobile telephone radio network.
· Responsible for the collection and organisation of data collected from 250 mobile telephone radio base stations that transmit both the voice signal and other data from the handset to the exchange.
Freelance Consultant 2003 - 2005
Technical support and database design.
NOC Engineer: Tiscali 2001- 2003
Created a knowledge base to ensure efficient handover of work at shift changeover. Leading a shift team responsible for monitoring all the company’s network systems. All monitoring systems and tools running on linux platforms including Free BSD and RedHat
Network Manager : Climax Development 2000 - 2001
I managed the growth of IT infrastructure from 8 Windows NT Servers to 16 including MS Exchange server. And provided rapid and effective support and fix in fast moving computer games company.
Data migration consultant : Egon Zehnder International 1997 - 1999
On time and on budget managment of major systems migration program to Bond ADAPT. I created tools to automate 80% of the migration process using VBA, Excel and Access.
Computacenter Onsite Engineer: Petroleum Shipping Limited 1995-1997
Ensured renewal of service contract and improved adherence to SLAs. I made sure vital IT resources were available during two major incidents involving ships at sea. I did this by ensuring that I understood company IT systems thoroughly and built good relations with our telecoms provider.
· Computacenter Senior Onsite Engineer - Credit Suisse First Boston
· Network Analyst and Helpdesk Support (contract) - Woolwich Building Society Treasury
· Trainer and Installation Engineer (contract) - NatWest Bank
· Network and Desktop Helpdesk Support Analyst (contract) - Nomura Bank
· Network Support Analyst (contract) - Britannia Airways
· PC Support Engineer - Kleinwort Benson
· Associate Member Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
· Open University Certificate in Mathematics
· City & Guilds Certificate 224 with distinction - Industrial Electronics
· Technical Courses - Novell Netware Administration, Netware Service and Support, Cheyenne Arcserve, Apple Certification, Digital DEC Networking, Cisco Routing and Switching, C Programming and UNIX Administration
· Additional Languages – French